Dia Kamel Hassan
- Over 35 years of experience in health care
- Expertise in health care management, quality improvement, patient centered care, and hospital expansion projects
- Fluent in Arabic and English
For more than 35 years, Dr. Dia Hassan has been in executive positions in the health care field, specifically in hospitals, out of which, ten years in the position of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of hospitals. She has analyzed, planned, developed, and implemented health systems and services; designed, compiled, and analyzed epidemiological and statistical data; and led hospitals to achieve international accreditation and recognition.
Dr. Hassan has vast experience in patient centered services and reengineering hospital departments and services to become patient centered, leading to a healing hospital. She is an expert in developing strategic and operation plans for organizations and linking them to the employee performance appraisal system to ensure successful achievement of the organizational strategic goals. She has developed programs, such as a risk management program, fire and safety program, emergency preparedness program, and centers of excellence related to healing hospitals.
Prior to serving as President and CEO of Bellevue University Medical Center in Lebanon, Dr. Hassan held numerous positions including CEO of International Modern Hospital in Dubai, Consultant for Quality and Accreditation, Assistant Hospital Director, and Hospital Administrator of the Dubai Health Authority at Latifa Hospital (previously named Al Wasl Hospital), Dubai, where she was responsible for the administrative aspects, operations, and the overall daily affairs including internal and external relations.
At Al Wasl Hospital, Dr. Hassan served as Assistant Hospital Director of Planning and Development, where she was responsible for developing short and long term plans for the hospital including expansion projects and introduction of new services, reengineering hospital departments and services, controlling the hospital budget, and implementing the new hospital information system (HIS) including patient administration, order entry, human resource, material management, laboratory, radiology and pharmacy systems. In her position as Consultant for Quality and International Accreditation at Al Wasl Hospital, she established a total quality management program. Some of the responsibilities within the program included creating a quality structure of committees and developing their terms of reference, introducing quality systems, developing plans, policies and procedures and education, and training staff on quality and organizational development issues.
Dr. Hassan received the 2006 Contribution to the Profession Award from Walden University. In 2007, Dr. Hassan published a book in the UK titled Measuring Performance in Health Care. She has published in international scientific journals and presented papers at many international conferences. She also prepared curricula for bachelor and master’s degree programs in health management and quality for universities in Dubai and chaired the Health Sciences Advisory Committee of the Higher Colleges of Technology for more than three years.
- President and CEO, Bellevue University Medical Center, Beirut, Lebanon
- CEO International Modern Hospital, Dubai, UAE
- Consultant Quality and International accreditation, Al Wasl Hospital, Dubai, UAE
- Assistant Hospital Director of Planning and Development, Al Wasl Hospital, Dubai, UAE
Professional Affiliations or Certifications
- International Hospital Federation
- Doctor in Philosophy in Health Services Administration from Walden University, Minneapolis, MN, USA
- Master of Public Health in Health Service Administration from the American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health from the American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon